The Baroque period lasted for 150 years from 1600-1750. Below is an analysis of the composers and the key features of the baroque period. Feel free to skip to the parts most relevant to you.
Features of Baroque Music
- Use of the harpsichord and the basso continuo.
- The bass part was usually a Cello or Bassoon
- The bass part uses a figured bass.
- There were decoration and ornamentation such as trills and mordants.
- Establishes the major/minor key system.
- Uses simple diatonic chords.
- Chords used were I, IV V (major) and ii and vi (minor).
- Textures were mostly polyphonic, homophonic and monophonic.
- There was often only one mood throughout the piece.
- Terraced dynamics were used where the dynamics were only either loud or soft.
- There was no Clarinet as it had not been invented.