On my last post on biotechnology, I forgot about the different uses biotechnology has in food. There are eight main uses which I will list in this post now. Even though it is difficult to remember the names of some of the bacteria, it is crucial you know them and there is a high chance this will come up in the Biology Extension Paper.
- Carrageen - Used as jelly, it is a carbohydrate and comes from seaweed.
- Vitamin C - Used for health benefits, it breaks down glucose using enzymes and and bacteria used is Acetobacter.
- Chymosin - Produces cheese without a cow so is good for vegetarians, yeast makes Chymosin and it is produced by Mucor Miehei.
- Yoghurt - Used in food, made by Lactobacillus bulgaricus which produces lactic acid which makes milk curdle (solidify).
- Invertase - Used to convert surose into glucose and fructose, used in soft centred chocolae and is made by yeast or Saccharomyces Cerevisiae.
- MSG - Used to flavour foods like Chinese, produces glutaomic acid which converts to MSG and bacteria used in Corynebacterium glutamicum.
- Prebiotics - Used to enhance health and uses bacteria.
- Citric acid - Used in fruit squashes, comes from corn molasses and fungus used is Aspergillus niger.