Every blog has a purpose be it to sell a product or provide information. When a blog fulfils its purpose, this is called a conversion. Conversions worst nightmare is the bounce rate. The bounce rate is the percentage of people that come onto your website and straight back off like they are "bouncing" off your website. Google Analytics provides in depth information about your website's bounce rate and with these figures, I will help you decrease the bounce rate and increase conversions.
|Bounce rate on Google Analytics|
|How to Analyse your bounce rate|
- Provide Relevant content the visitor wants - The biggest reason why people "bounce" off websites is because what they searched for doesn't match with the content. To counter this, check out How to make useful content for your Blogger blog relevant to search engine visitors.
- Don't overload your website - Many people leave because they get distracted a lot with links to other sites. If you are going to link to other sites, place them all at the footer of your site so they are last to be seen so there is less of a chance of people bouncing off your website.
- Make it easily readable - No-one likes reading a HUGE article that could be summed up in one short paragraph. Readers have a short attention span, so adapt to this by making your articles and post get straight to the point.
- Explain anything difficult - If you use keywords that many people won't know, explain it to them otherwise they won't know what your whole post is about and leave. For example, at the start of this article, I explained both what the bounce rate and conversions are. To the right I also have a link below my feed reader explaining to anyone what a RSS feed is.
- Make your site user-friendly to eyes - Surfing on the internet puts strain on your eyes looking at a bright screen constantly, so adapt for this. Provide space for eyes to rest on, and don't have dashing colours (you may think I'm contradicting myself with my message at the top right of my website being yellow. I mean don't make the whole page bright yellow as it will put strain on eyes. Little bit is fine).
- Always place a search bar at top - If your visitors finished reading your post, they will leave increasing the bounce rate. Therefore, provide a search bar so that they can search for content on your website they want, keeping them on your website.